Vinyl Floors are the ultimate mind-blowing combo of suaveness and sustainability, eventually the most promising serviceability. In addition to flaunting our surrounding spaces in the most mind-blowing ways, they offer nearly endless functionality. benefits, making this floor treatment absolutely worth the choice.
However, like every other thing around us, they too, do have somewhat of an unfavorable aspect to them Which is the fact they are prone to scratching and once they become abundant or severe enough to be visible, it becomes mandatory to get rid of them, in order to retain the floor’s beauty.
With that said, whenever you’re concerned about How To Fix Scratch On Vinyl Floor, all you need to is refer to this super simple yet effective and comprehensive guide, bright to you by Pro Flooring Guide.
Let’s have a dynamic start of our discussion with the most commonly faced ponderings.
Major Concerns Regarding Vinyl Floor Scratching
Ahead are those possible questions that are likely to pop up in your mind, if the situation or concept is pretty new to you.
Do Luxury Vinyl Floors Scratch Easily?
Though Vinyl Floors aren’t technically prone to scratching in the first place, since they come with a reasonably scratch-resistant build quality. Which in fact, explains their wide usage among homeowners having children or pets, basically a utilization that’s likely to involve scratching and similar damage, caused by dents or scuff marks.
Excessive wear and tear, improper maintenance and most importantly an inconsiderate usage can actually cause the Vinyl Flooring to scratch over the course of time.
Learn more about How Long Vinyl Flooring Last?
Where Do Vinyl Plank Floor Scratches Come From?
There are multiple ways in which the Vinyl Flooring can be easily subjected to scratch damage. Besides, as a rather surprising fact, most of the ways include our everyday utilization of the flooring and various other common practices which, simply without us realizing anything, result in the nastly-looking appearance of our otherwise ritzy Vinyl Flooring.
Some most common causes of Vinyl Floor Scratching include:
- Shoes transferring small but abrasive rocks, asphalt, soil and gravel and eventually scratching the Vinyl Flooring during walking.
- Pointed stuff and most importantly toys
- Abrasive and pointed footwear such as Stilettos
- Dragging of heavy furniture without any felt pads and specifically the one which contains unnoticeable nails underneath, resulting in the scratching of Vinyl Flooring.
- Water accumulation underneath the floor which eventually gives rise to the bubbling up of the floor
Dealing With Scratch Damage On Vinyl Plank Floors
No matter how much you ace at carrying out the best maintenance of your Vinyl Plank Floor, you can’t possibly prevent the damage that’s likely to take place due to aging.
And no worries if you’ve indulged in scratching your Vinyl Floors since we’ve totally got you with these convenient methods of scratch removal. Not to mention that they work for both minor and major scratching.
How To Fix Scratching On Vinyl Floors
It’s the general scratch fixing method with which you can effectively address rather non-critical scratching.
P.S. This is a really fun method to experience.
Tools And Supplies You’ll Need
- Broom/ Vacuum Cleaner/ Wet Mop
- Rubber/ Tennis Ball
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cleaning Cloth
Quick Method For General Scratch Fixing on Vinyl Plank Floors
1. Start by prepping the floor with a thorough cleaning in order to get a clear and smooth surface to work with and also to not worsen the situation with any additional buildup. For cleaning, you can either make use of a damp mop or a soft-bristled broom. Alternatively, you can vacuum the area, as well.
2. Grab the available ball (either Tennis or simple rubber ball) and start rubbing the scratch lines present on the flooring. This should work for mild scratches.
3. However, if the scratching persists, you might need to go over the affected area with a cleaning fabric saturated with Rubbing Alcohol, so as to thoroughly get rid of the scratch marks and you should be left with a clear looking and scratch-free floor.
How To Fix Deep Scratches And Gouge From Vinyl Floor
The above-mentioned scratching isn’t essentially going to work for any deeper scratches, gouges or scuff marks.
Tools And Supplies You’ll Need
- Sand Paper (preferably a fine-grit one)
- Cotton Fabric
- PU Cleaner
Steps For Fixing
1. Start by lightly sanding the scratched Vinyl floor surface, so as to completely level up the surface and get rid of any particles or edges sticking out.
2. Next comes the surface dusting which is technically a finishing step of the surface preparation. Cotton clothing works best for this purpose.
3. Take the PU Cleaner and shake it well for about 20 seconds.
4. Hold the PU Cleaner at a distance of about 30 cm from the Vinyl Flooring and start spraying it directly and thoroughly onto the scratch lines.
5. Wait for up to 5 minutes and then go on with the second attempt of PU Cleaner spraying in the same way as the first one.
6. If you see the scratching to be persistent after two applications of the PU Cleaner, then you must, by then, go for the third round of application.
7. Let the treated area dry completely post the third PU Cleaner application. Let the drying take place essentially for the next 6 hours and avoid walking over the floors during this time.
Worthwhile Tips On How To Prevent Scratches On Vinyl Floors
Acting upon these useful guidelines will significantly help you keep scratching at bay from your Vinyl Flooring.
This May Help You: How Thick Should Underlayment Be For Vinyl Flooring
- Ensure the usage of felt pads and floor protectors with the legs of your furniture, in order to prevent scratches and scuff marks from developing during any of the furniture movement.
- Avoid dragging your furniture atop Vinyl Flooring and in case of unavoidable movements, try lifting the furniture piece up, instead of dragging it.
- Always place foot mats or welcome mats at all the entrance spots as they get to restrain the transfer of any abrasive dirt particles, stone or any other buildup. Also, it is highly advisable that you make use of Vinyl-backed mats.
- Make sure that you carry out a regular cleanup of your Vinyl Floors as regular and accurate maintenance (sweeping + mopping) can dynamically reduce the chance of floor scratching.
- Ensure not leaving your children (or pets) unattended while they are playing with any of the pointed or abrasive toys.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
Does Luxury Vinyl Scratch Easily?
LVP Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring isn’t that much susceptible to scratching very soon or very easily, which explains it being the most recommended choice for families with children and pets. Still, there is a chance of Vinyl Floors getting roughed due to excessive dragging of heavy furniture atop them. Another damaging scenario for the Vinyl Floors could be any nails present under either the secondary furniture or the anchor pieces that can cause scratching of the floors.
Can You Fix Scratches In Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl Flooring scratches can absolutely be fixed since all it takes is a quality car wax. Take a clean rag to apply the car wax onto the affected area within circular motions, eventually filling all the scratches with the wax. Once you’re done with the filling, wipe off any of the excessive wax from the surrounding space. Finish off by gently rubbing the entire area with a clean cloth and you should ideally be left with a smooth and even finish.
How To Fix A Gouge In Vinyl Plank Flooring?
The most effective approach to fixing a Vinyl Plank Flooring gouge is to make use of wax sticks. Besides, they work wonders for remedying deep scratches, as well. All you need to do is place the wax sticks over the scratched spot, followed by applying a little pressure over it, thus causing the sticks to smear thoroughly. Once you;’re done with spreading the wax, buff the entire area and you should achieve a smoothly finished spot.
Can A Magic Eraser Be Used On Vinyl Plank Floors?
The magic eraser, by all means, is an excellent fix for various issues of the Vinyl Plank Flooring. Moreover, it’s widely used to address tough spots present on Vinyl Plank Flooring. Using it is really easy as well, since all you need to do is dampen the eraser a bit, squeeze out the excessive water and scrub off all the scuff marks.
How To Remove Tire Marks From Vinyl Floors?
Mineral spirits work best in order to get rid of tire marks atop Vinyl Floors and the cleaning method is really simple, as well. All you need to do is go over the stains with a piece of cloth soaked in Mineral spirits along with necessary pressure application, according to the toughness of the stains. Besides, if you’ve got to deal with a really stubborn staining, you can also cover the spot with the Mineral spirits soaked cloth for a couple of minutes, followed by wiping it off, until you get rid of the stain completely.
How To Remove Black Marks From Vinyl Flooring?
Rubbing alcohol is an effective remedy against black marks atop Vinyl Flooring. Start by soaking a clean rag with Rubbing alcohol and rub the mark a few times. If excessive rubbing doesn’t help, you can also try placing the damp rag over the stained area for the next 30 seconds. This will break up the stain, eventually causing it to dissolve and disappear. However, you might need to repeat the process a few times for very stubborn stains, till you finally get rid of them.