Carpets are the true sign of comfort within our places. Treating every single space of our house with a classy-looking carpet treatment is a definitive way of inducing the most incredible comfort all around you and stairs aren’t an exception at all, either. Besides, stairs that have been treated with quality carpeting become a lot safer for everybody in the house and are a fool-proof way to keep any accidents or mishaps at bay.
Now with the stair carpet comes the dire need for efficient maintenance, which is essential to avoid any texture or beauty loss of a carpet and also to address any of the occasional concerns like staining or spilling, too. Therefore, it’s crucial to clean and maintain the carpet on the stairs in a particular and considerately damage-free way, which of course, will ultimately make your carpet (and investment) last long.
Pro Flooring Guide has come up with the all-time best and most precise guide that will make you well equipped with every piece of information required regarding stairway area carpet cleaning.
Let’s begin with some of the basic yet popular concerns on How To Clean Carpets On Steps.
Major Concerns Regarding Stair Carpet Cleaning
These questions are common for both old and new stair carpet owners.
Why Is There A Need For Cleaning Carpeted Stairs?
Carpeted Stairs Cleaning is crucial because:
- Stairs do get subjected to a lot of wear and tear too, just like the carpets present in your rooms, though most of it is foot traffic.
- The accumulation of dirt, dust, and debris and ultimately the growth of bacteria and mold is also a majorly unavoidable concern.
- If not cleaned properly and periodically, the stair carpet has a huge possibility of losing all its beauty and attractiveness, which will eventually ruin the whole look of your interior.
- Clean Carpeted Stairs are a lot safer to use than cluttered ones, so cleaning stair carpets the right way is more of a matter of safety sustenance for everybody in the house.
- Not cleaning your carpeted stairs will lower the air quality within your interiors and it can also put your health at a major risk. Besides, dirty stair carpets can be a serious threat to those with allergies and/ or respiratory issues.
You May Need To Know: Clean Indoor Outdoor Carpet
How Often Should The Stair Carpet Be Cleaned?
In the first place, that totally depends on the extent of your carpet usage. And in terms of stair carpet, you can consider it the foot traffic, since that’s the only factor, carpeted stairs have to endure most of the time.
As for the frequency of cleaning your stair carpet, you can consider this mainstream and standard approach:
- Carpeted stairs should be vacuumed at least once a week.
- Shampooing the stair carpet every three months is quite okay
- Deep cleanups or stain removal treatments should be done every six months or they can also be scheduled according to any occasional incidents taking place.
Is Professional Carpet Cleaning Worth It?
Professional Carpet Cleaning is absolutely worth it since it not only guarantees the most flawless consequences but also saves one from a lot of trouble and additional expenses. And the rest of the favorability lies in multiple factors such as:
- Professional Carpet cleaning does the deepest cleaning and decluttering of your carpets, essentially a level that you’ll face a hard time achieving.
- Professional-grade cleaners penetrate more thoroughly and effectively through the carpet fibers, therefore working as a restoring and revamping mechanism.
- It guarantees the highest durability of your stair carpet and significantly improved serviceability.
- Having the professional cleanup of your carpet will save you from the trouble and expenses of getting all the required equipment, which often end up making the DIY cleaning project cost more than the professional one.
- Professional Carpet cleaning is carried out in accordance with the type of your stair carpeting while ensuring the execution of all the necessary and preventive procedures so that there is no damage to the carpeting.
Is It Hard To Clean Carpeted Stairs?
It’s quite convenient to carry out most of the time, and absolutely advantageous, as well.
- It’s not excessively or unnecessarily difficult and anyways, the consequences are always worth the effort.
- Cleaning carpeted stairs, however, is a bit more demanding than cleaning stair carpet runners, since the latter only needs to be removed and put in a washing machine.
- A little effort in terms of cleaning your carpet stairs can bring about really favorable outcomes for you.
Is Steam Cleaning A Good Idea For A Stair Carpet?
Steam Cleaning is one of the greatest carpet maintenance procedures and it ensures the deepest and most detailed cleaning as well as decluttering of the stair carpet.
- Steam cleaning is the most effective way for removing all the stains as well as for efficiently extracting even the tiniest dirt and dust particles from the carpet.
- It effectively restores the look of the carpet and also retains its beauty for extensive time spans.
- Steam cleaning ensures that the stair carpet has been disinfected well, too, by treating all the breeding grounds for bacteria, mold and mildew.
- It helps get rid of all the nasty odors from the stair carpet, such as pet pee.
- Steam cleaning makes the carpets significantly safer and healthfully lucrative to use again.
How To Clean Carpet On Stairs
Here’s how you can carry out the most efficient and long-term favorable stairway area carpet cleaning, which is going to save you reasonable bucks, as well.
Stuff You’ll Need
- Vacuum Cleaner (try getting a cordless and compact model and the one with small head attachments or brush rollers)
- Commercial Carpet Cleaner
- Scrubbing Brush (get the one with stiff bristles)
Steps To Be Taken
- Clearing Out The Area
Start by sweeping your carpet thoroughly with the help of a stiff brush, so as to clear out all the loosened dirt, dust and microbial accumulation from the surface of the carpet. Your proceeding technique should be all-inclusive yet gentle, in order to not harm the carpet fibers. The idea is to carry out a detailed cleaning, which will give rise to maximum cleaning outcomes. This might as well, require you to go for multiple sweeping attempts.
- Vacuuming The Carpet
Next up, comes vacuuming the carpet thoroughly to ensure that all the accumulation is perfectly cleared out and there is no debris or dust buildup sitting on the surface. Try going over each step at least twice to get the best results. You can make the job a lot easier for you by choosing a cordless and compact design of the vacuum cleaner and most preferably you should have the one featuring a brush roller or smaller head attachments for a perfect suction.
- Shampooing And Rinsing
Once the stair carpet has been cleared of all the buildup, it’s time to shampoo it with a commercial carpet cleaner and ideally, you should choose the one that’s specifically meant for your carpet type. Focus more on the stains and as for rubbing you can either use your hands or can take help from a scrubbing brush. Dab, rub, and scrub the cleaner multiple times onto the stained spots, till you manage to get rid of them completely.
- Rinsing And Drying
Take a few water-dampened towels or absorbent cloths for rinsing the carpet and to clear out all the cleaner residue. Once all the cleaner is out successfully, let your carpet dry completely under the fan(s). Also, you can use dehumidifiers or a few extra fans to speed up the process of drying.
- Final Vacuuming
Finish off by vacuuming your entire stair carpet once again, after it has dried completely. At this point, you can also consider sprinkling some Baking Soda on the carpet surface, followed by vacuuming it. This will help get rid of any lingering odor and will leave you with fresh and even more hygienic carpets.
Tips And Tricks For Effective Stair Carpet Maintenance
Make your stair carpet last longer and prove super serviceable for you with these helpful guidelines. Not to mention that this will also keep both your stairs and surroundings way cleaner than before.
Maintain A Regular Cleaning
This not only involves the day-to-day cleaning as well as the periodic one but also addresses all the incidents right away. Clear out spills, splashes, and food particles immediately and spot treat any stains then and there too if any. Never let a stain or accumulation sit over your stair carpet for long to only end up worsening the situation.
Protect From Harsh Atmospheric Conditions
Keep your carpeting away from direct sunlight and this goes the same for other weathering factors too, such as exposure to excessive moisture to wind. You can ensure this by installing the right window treatment such as blackout blinds and heavy curtains.
Eliminate Dirt And Dust Transfer
This can be done by placing mats on all the entrances as well as exits of the house. Also, this includes keeping indoor and outdoor shoes separate and not walking on top of the carpet with shoes.
Choose The Right Product
Getting the cleaner that’s meant for your carpet type can’t possibly be stressed enough as the wrong product usage can not just compromise the functionality of your carpet but can also make it go bad ahead of time. Products can also include the occasional utilization of disinfectants and carpet sanitizers. Always choose soft and gentle cleaning tools for your stair carpet and never scrub way too vigorously. Strictly avoid those tools that can be abrasive to the carpet surface.
Consider Professional Maintenance
Do seek professional carpet cleaning and maintenance services for your carpets once in a while as that skill set will not just enhance the working and lifespan of your carpets but will be the ultimate solution for all the occasionally emerging problems.
Invest In Useful Additions
Keep dry shampoo in your carpet cleaning kits as those can serve as a quick fix for buildups and stainings as well as a beautifying treatment for your carpets. Over and above, do consider adding a stair carpet protector to your stairs, as they are meant for keeping multiple damaging factors at bay. Another example of such useful products could be the stair treads that serve as protective elements for stair carpets against wear and tear, staining, and impact damage over time.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
How To Effectively Clean Carpet On Stairs?
The best way to clean carpet on stairs is to start by vacuuming each step thoroughly with a powerful cordless vacuum, as this will help clear out all the dirt from the surface. Next up, comes shampooing of the carpet which must be done with a good scrubbing motion on each step. Once the carpet has been shampooed well, you can dry it out with the help of a few towels or a carpet cleaner, in order to remove all the water. Lastly, you can let your carpet dry and can also consider vacuuming it once again for the best and most rapid results.
How To Get Stains Out Of Wool Carpet Stairs?
Start by mixing a teaspoon of wool detergent and white vinegar each with around a liter of warm water to make a cleaning solution. Take a washcloth and use it to dab the cleaning solution onto the stains present on the carpet surface, followed by gently yet thoroughly scrubbing all of them. Finish off by going over the carpet with a dampened sponge a couple of times till you manage to clear out all the cleaning solution residue from the carpet. Once dried completely, vacuum your carpet carefully and you’ll be good to go.
What Are The Best Homemade Carpet Cleaner Recipes?
It’s always best to choose DIY carpet cleaners as they are the safest ones and don’t cause any risk to the construction or beauty of the carpets. Besides, the level of effectiveness is almost the same as the commercial cleaners, as well. There are multiple amazing recipe choices when it comes to making homemade carpet cleaners. The first one is the Baking Soda and Vinegar solution. In addition to that, you can also consider making one by mixing Vinegar, Salt, and any essential oil of your choice.
How Often Should I Clean My Carpeted Stairs?
The need for cleaning your stair carpet, as an obvious factor, depends on the extent of its usage in the first place. In other words, it could also be the intensity of the foot traffic your stair carpet has to endure. Vacuuming the carpet once a week and shampooing it every 3 months is one standard maintenance approach that you can consider following. Besides, deep cleanups, as well as odor remedies, should be done every six months as preferable criteria. However, you can always increase or decrease the frequency of maintenance procedures depending on the condition of usage and how much your carpet gets affected.
Is It Okay To Shampoo The Carpet And How Often Should I Do It?
Shampooing your carpet is actually one of the most effective approaches to excellent carpet upkeep. That’s because it not only treats all the major and minor issues of the carpet but also retains its beauty and attractiveness for longer periods of time. You can find a number of incredible carpet shampoos in the market and at best you should stick to the one recommended by your carpet manufacturer. As for the frequency of shampooing your carpet, you can consider doing so every three months.
How To Hand Wash A Carpet?
Hand cleaning of a carpet involves addressing it with Ammonia. Start by mixing up to two tablespoons of Ammonia to around a liter of water to make a cleaning solution. Take a soft-bristled carpet brush or a hairbrush and use it to apply the cleaning solution onto your carpet, followed by giving it a good scrub, in order to get rid of the staining as much as possible. Finish off by wiping your carpet thoroughly to clear out all the residue of the cleaning solution. Let it dry completely before using it again.